Monday, December 1, 2014

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...

The downfall of people knowing that your Samoan, is that when Thanksgiving comes around all I hear is "Sister Efnor....we know you want moooore."  I literally almost passed out at the dinner table because I was far past my capacity.  Aside from the lack of sleep Thanksgiving night, because I had a whole turkey in my stomach, it was great getting to visit other families and hear what everyone was thankful for.
 
Last night we had the baptism of Soo and Yeageon, literally my favorite Koreans on this planet. 
 


Teaching them has been such a blessing in my life, their testimony's are beautifully simple.  Its been a reminder to me of the true simplicity of the gospel.  Even with the Thanksgiving weekend and most students being gone, quite a few of the ward members came and supported them both.  Everything went over without a hitch, but my favorite part of the baptism was when Soo received the gift of the Holy Ghost.  Before anyone could start to form a circle or put their hand on his head, he was sitting on the chair, arms in his lap and his eyes closed.  He looked so peaceful, just waiting there with his eyes closed, preparing himself to receive this special gift. After the baptism Sister Curtis was talking to Yeageon and he said that Saturday night he and Soo stayed up till all hours of the night talking about how their life was going to be different after Sunday.  They would be living a different life style when they go back to Korea and there would be...no more beer. lol 
 
Wednesday, we met with a recent convert Kendra. She has been a member for all of about 2 months and is already teaching in gospel principles.  We went over to see if we could help her prepare for her lesson.  In that same gospel principle class there is a girl that we have been teaching for awhile, its been such a blessing to have Kendra in that class so this girl can see the progression that Kendra is making and how being baptized has blessed her life.  A couple weeks ago during the class Kendra was asked if she felt ready for baptism, her reply was " No, I don't think I will ever fully feel ready, or feel like I knew everything I needed to know."  That was perfect for the girl we have been teaching, and perfect for me!  I'm never going to truly have a full knowledge of the gospel, not in this life.  It had been somewhat frustrating to me recently that I cant always answer all the questions that I am asked.  I cant rebuttal most of the anti Mormon stuff that gets thrown at me either.  I know that it doesn't make the gospel any less true.  There was a talk by Elder Holland that I have referenced quite a bit called Lord I Believe  "When the infinite fulness is poured forth, it is not the oil’s fault if there is some loss because finite vessels can’t quite contain it all.10 Those finite vessels include you and me, so be patient and kind and forgiving." 
 
Monday night on our way back from playing volleyball with the zone Curtis and I get a phone call from a guy in one of the wards that we cover.  He just got out of the slammer, and has roughed up his body pretty bad with drugs, he doesn't know where his family is, but he is wanting to come back to church.  The night before we gave him our number on a sticky note.  So, we get a call from a Pennsylvania area code, its RJ asking if we could find him shoes.  He got locked out of his house and he didn't have any shoes.  So we called the elder quorum president to see if he could help out, he was at work.  I figured since RJ was shorter than me that my Nikes would fit him.  So we drove over to his house.  He was just huddled up on the side of the road because it was so cold.  I got out and gave him my shoes, he put them on and said, "Oh my gosh! These are so comfortable and warm!  Thank you!"  He doesn't have much and the only reason he called us was because he had the sticky note in his pocket still and had to ask a stranger passing by if he could use their phone.  I learned a lot of different things from this experience, the first...Be so stinking grateful for all I have!  During a sacrament meeting that I went to yesterday there was a talk given on charity..the girl gave an example of what she has found charity to be.."Its not giving money to the homeless man, its definitely not thinking "I'm not going to give him money because he'll only use it to buy something that i don't approve of."  Charity is seeing the homeless man and understanding him. Charity is thinking about all the things he has had to go through to now be standing on the corner homeless. Charity is wondering what life has done to bring him to this point." I had never thought of it that way.  This story isn't to tell everyone that I gave RJ my shoes, because shoes are just shoes.  It's to share the experience that I had in seeing that helping someone and having charity toward them is much more than giving of material things, but seeing where that person has been..understanding them..and loving them anyways as Christ would.

I was thinking last night how if I hadn't made the decision to serve a mission, none of this would have happened!  I wouldn't have met these people, I probably would have learned these principles, but not in this way!  If you are reading this and are thinking about going on a mission..NIKE that stuff and JUST DO IT! 
I love you all and I hope that during this Christmas season we can all find a way to implement more Christ in {CHRIST}mas.
Sister Efnor 
 I sure am going to miss Sister Curtis when she leaves!!  So grateful for all that she has taught me!!
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness girl......what wonderful inspiring stories! What you said about the homeless is what I have always told Opa.....I don't care what if any poor choices got that person in that situation....all that matters is that is the situation,and it's hard and sad....we are so blessed how can we possibly not feel compassion and want to help in some way! I love you so much and am so proud of YOU!

    ReplyDelete